“Those who take disbelievers as allies instead of the believers. Do they seek with them honor [through power]? But indeed, all the honor belongs to Allah.” (TMQ Al-Nisa 4:139)
Donald Trump’s current national and international standing may best be summarized as follows:
Nationally, since his Presidency, Trump’s overall approval ratings have waned. Though he picked up marginally in the last week of June, as per Newsweek (29-Jun):
• Quinnipiac poll has Trump at 40% approval, with 55% disapproval
• USA Today/Suffolk has Trump at 42% approval and 53% disapproval
• Gallup poll has his approval at 40% and disapproval at 56%
• Rasmussen Report (a right-leaning firm) has Trump’s approval at 45% with 55% disapproving
With regards to media and journalists, clearly there is no love lost and this was best summed up in Trump’s recent tweets to the hosts of MSNBC Morning Joe, which prompted an outcry from many people including from within the Republicans; Senator Lindsey Graham said Trump’s remarks were, “beneath the office and represents what is wrong with American politics, not the greatness of America,” while fellow Republican Senator Ben Sasse tweeted, “Please just stop. This isn’t normal.”
On the international stage, besides Russia, Israel, India and to some extent China, Trump has alienated himself from a majority of world leaders, in particular those considered to be close American allies, most notably Trudeau (Canada), Merkel (Germany), Macron (France) and Turnbull (Australia). Even the UK and international organizations, such as the United Nations, are uneasy.
Logically, if Trump’s reputation and that of America has taken a hit with allies, then it should be exponentially lower in the Muslim world, given:
- Trump’s established crusade against Islam and Muslims, exemplified by the ‘Muslim travel ban’ and his support for regimes with repressive policies against Muslims such as Russia, China and Israel; and,
- More importantly, as Allah (swt) demands: “O you who believe, you shall not take as allies and protectors My enemies and your enemies, extending love and friendship to them, even though they have disbelieved in the truth that has come to you.” (TMQ Mumtahina 60:1)
Unsurprisingly, the Muslims hold him in deep contempt. But equally, unsurprisingly, the Arab regimes have flocked around him, like bees to honey and like slaves to a master, giving him honor, extending friendship and business deals. Sadly, the Ummah are accustomed to this shame.
It is time for change and enough of this shame. As Trump gallivants around the world to represent, protect and impose American corporate interests, Muslims must work upon the Prophetic method to re-establish the Khilafah and thereby have the leadership that brings honor, dignity and will engage America, its leadership and other colonial states on the right political basis i.e. Islam.