Though 122 nations, in the United Nations (UN) on Friday, July 7th, celebrated ratifying the treaty banning nuclear weapons, a reality check was required.
All the nuclear-armed nations boycotted the meeting. As the New York Times reported, in a joint statement released after the treaty was adopted, the United States, Britain and France said, “We do not intend to sign, ratify or ever become party to it.”
The issue at hand is not the treaty itself – but the farce, failure and the fundamental flaw of the United Nations as an organization.
Since its inception, the UN has never represented:
• The international community, but rather the national interests of the permanent members of the Security Council
• International culture, but rather secular culture that is imposed upon others
Take for example:
• The sustained violations of UN resolutions by the illegal Israeli entity go unpunished, as it is protected by members on the Security Council
• The United States conveniently unilaterally redefines or ignores international law to ensure the continuation of its interests
• While the world pushes an agenda for the secular conception of Human Rights, championed by the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC), America happily conducts trades and arms agreements with regimes known for human rights abuses, notwithstanding America’s own blatant violation of human rights
The reality is that such an organization built upon the interests and values of dominant nations can never project nor protect the interests of the international community.
The world needs an international leadership that it is not built upon human greed and misery, nor the domination of one race over another, nor the interests of few at the expense of the majority. Likewise, it would be a leadership that would lead on economic prosperity, the environment and hold all accountable in political office.
And Allah (swt) says: “The decision is only for Allah. He relates the truth, and He is the best of Deciders.” (TMQ Al-Anam 6:57)